Bone Health
 Bone Health > Question and Answer > Podiatry > I have a bump on foot too (see image)
I have a bump on foot too (see image)
9/21 15:06:07


a bump on foot
I read your answer on the subject "bump on outside of foot" on 4/29/2007. (

Question 1: What doctor should I see: a dermatologist or podiatrist? It looks more a skin problem than a foot
Question 2: I guess I may need a surgery to remove the bump
because after being there for a few years, it has grown and
started to cause some pain. I don't know if every dermatologist or podiatrist is capable of doing surgery. Or
it can be done by a general/family doctor. A nurse from an
urgent care clinic said non-specialist is also capable of
doing minor surgery.
Question 3: In the previous writing, you mentioned having
an X-ray. I tend to think X-ray is for bone problem. So
what is the x-ray for? What can be found with it?
Thank you very much!

Hi Sherman,

I would see a podiatrist.  This is a foot problem which likely involves area below the skin level as well.  In any case podiatrists treat skin problems.  
A podiatrist would be the best choice for removal of this type of lesion.  I would not have a GP or nurse do this, they do not know the anatomy.
An x-ray is for a bone problem.  You are making an assumption that this is a skin problem and there is no way to know this for sure without an exam and an x-ray from a podiatrist.

I would see a podiatrist and let them come up with the diagnosis and treatment plan.


Marc Katz, DPM
Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor抯 orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Copyright © Bone Health All Rights Reserved